There is nothing like a sunflower to make me believe in God more. Just thinking of their math, their reproduction odds, their sheer size…it makes me giddy with spiritual delight.
I mean consider the stunning facts of a sunflower.
- each sunflower is the product of one fertilized seed growing and producing the plant
- each sunflower can create 500-1500+ seeds
- each sunflower seed holds the potential for new life that creates new life itself
- sunflowers have perfect Fibonacci sequence, and the sunflower is a lesson in spirals
- each sunflower is a flower that is made up of 100s of other flowers (florets)
I taught a lesson today at Friday School on the Fibonacci sequence/golden rectangle and the children loved it.
Here’s us making a Golden Rectangle with unifix cubes:
Who knew you could learn this all from a sunflower?