Tribe Tuesday: Breathe.Pray.Truth

img_0942.jpg

I went to work this morning having all the faith in the world that my good attitude would save me. That a mindset of abundance and focusing on the good and positive things was the most important focus of my life.

Thank God I was in that place this morning, because let me tell you sisters and brothers-today could have hit me like a ton of bricks. Or like dozens of eggs.

By the way, my hens are great layers.

Students stretched my patience and my eardrums. I used my stern teacher voice and said “STOP,” at level 5 on a 1-10 loudness scale at least three times today. It was fine, and everyone felt safe. But it was something that I had to do.

My new favorite part of my day in kindergarten is the last 5-7 minutes. Right before we go home we clean up and have a seat on the rug. I call every child up one by one and talk to them individually about how their day went. I give them specific feedback about what worked, what didn’t work, what we can improve on, what I appreciated. It is AMAZING. I wish I’d keyed in on this in previous years, but this is truly the best thing I am doing this year. I save all their fuzzies up (our classroom token economy) until the end of the day, keeping track on my clipboard with tally marks. I also keep note of things that they did well or struggled with emotionally. This is not an academic check in, but if they have big wins there I mention it. I tell them what I noticed, what I was proud of. I tell them what they messed up in, and how tomorrow we’re setting a goal to mess up on that thing less.

It feels good. I wish someone would have done this for me when I was small.

I’m working in to my teaching more 1:1 meetings with students during the day, too. I’m finding that mindset has so much to do with it. Believing that I can do it, and that it will work is the way to get it done. If I think it’s possible-it is.

That’s the truth no one really knows about, but is brain science. I heard more about this on my favorite podcast today (Don’t Keep Your Day Job by Cathy Heller), but I’ve heard it a lot in other places, too.

What we believe is possible is what is possible. If we are convinced that something is not going to happen it won’t. And half the time we don’t realize we have these limiting beliefs because 90% of our brain use is subconscious and the other 10% is our conscious mind. Our subconscious doesn’t think at all, it’s just all raw emotion and messages we have picked up since birth. Add in any brain chemical differences and WOW. Stuff gets really hairy.

I guess what I’m saying is, please tell the people in your life direct feedback about what they are doing and not doing that you appreciate. Tell them you see them, you witness them.

It may save someone’s life.

 

 

 

Get the free webinar!

Fullsizeoutput 319

Subscribe to get our latest content by email.

We won't send you spam. Unsubscribe at any time. Powered by ConvertKit

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this:
search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close